The agenda for the
2012 Canadian Nuclear Association Conference
and Trade Show is complete!
View, download and print the detailed agenda HERE (pdf) and see below for highlights of this exciting event, coming to Ottawa, February 22-24, 2012.
Seize this opportunity to hear and learn from some of the nuclear industry’s top representatives and field experts.
Take advantage of early-bird pricing and REGISTER NOW.
2012 CANADIAN NUCLEAR ASSOCIATION
CONFERENCE AND TRADE SHOW
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2012
- 08:30 – 16:00 National Education Symposium & Student Chalk River Facility Tour
The Chalk River Tour is open to students attending the Conference who express interest and meet selection criteria. Inquiries welcome!
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012
- 08:30 – 13:30 CNA Board of Directors Meeting
- 08:30 – 16:00 Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities Meeting
- 12:00 – 20:30 Conference and Trade Show Registration
- 13:00 – 17:00 CNA Regulatory Affairs Workshop
To provide an update on some of the new Federal and Provincial regulatory developments affecting Canada’s nuclear industry. The workshop will include presentations by representatives of key Federal and Provincial agencies.
- 15:00 – 17:00 CNA Communications Workshop
To focus primarily on Risk Communications on Critical Science Topics and our updated communications strategy through the TalkNuclear brand.
- 14:00 – 15:00 CEO Student Briefing & Career Assistance Program
An hour-long panel discussion chaired by the President of the CNA which includes executive representatives some of our members.
- 15:00 – 20:30 Opening of CNA Trade Show Area and Career Fair
- 18:00 – 21:00 Welcome Reception
Featuring opening remarks from the CNA President and the award reception for the 2012 Ian McRae Award. The Welcome Reception operates as a networking opportunity for conference attendees.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2012
- 07:30 – 08:30 Breakfast and Introductory Remarks, in Confederation I and Provinces Rooms
Wayne Robbins, Chairman, Canadian Nuclear Association, Chief Nuclear Officer, Ontario Power Generation
- 08:30 – 09:15 Keynote Presentation – Science in Popular Media, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Jay Ingram, Science broadcaster, writer, and co-host of Discovery Channel’s science show, Daily Planet.
- 09:30 – 10:00 WANO Update from Fukushima Response Commission, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Tom Mitchell, President and Chief Executive Officer, Ontario Power Generation, Chair, World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) Fukushima Response Commission
- 10:00 – 10:30 Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission 2012 Update, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Michael Binder, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- 10:30 – 10:45 Refreshment Break
- 10:45 – 12:15 Panel: Innovative Methods of Communicating Science, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Chair: Jay Ingram; Panellists: Ted Hartwell – Desert Research Institute, Toby Heaps – Corporate Knights Magazine (invited), Up to two more panellists to be determined.
- 12:15 – 14:15 Lunch – Keynote Address from Natural Resources Canada, Confederation I and Provinces Rooms
The Honourable Joe Oliver, Minister, Natural Resources Canada
- 14:30 – 15:00 Stimulating Innovation and its Role in the Nuclear Renaissance, Confederation Rooms II and III
Dr. Kate Jackson, Senior Vice President and Chief Technical Officer, Westinghouse
- 15:00 – 15:20 Refreshment Break, Foyer & Governor General’s Ballroom
- 15:20 – 17:00 Nuclear Innovation: Bright Ideas to Keep the Lights On, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Chair: TBA; Panellists: Doug Richardson – General Fusion, Mike Lees – Babcock & Wilcox, Dr. Kate Jackson – Westinghouse
- 17:15 – 19:30 Trade Show Reception, Foyer & Governor General’s Ballroom
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2012
- 07:45 – 08:30 Breakfast
- 08:30 – 09:30 Why People Believe Strange Things, Dr. Michael Shermer, Confederation I and Provinces Rooms
Dr. Michael Shermer, founding Publisher of Skeptic magazine, the Executive Director of the Skeptics Society, and a monthly columnist for Scientific American
- 09:45 – 10:15 Innovation and the Next 10 Years of Nuclear Medicine, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Steve West, Chief Executive Officer, Nordion
- 10:15 – 10:45 Changing the Culture in Canadian Research and Innovation, in Confederation Rooms II and III
John McDougall, President, National Research Council
- 10:45 – 11:00 Refreshment Break, Foyer & Governor General’s Ballroom
- 11:00 – 11:30 SNC-Lavalin and the Future of Canadian Nuclear Technology, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Patrick Lamarre, President, SNC-Lavalin Nuclear
- 11:30 – 12:30 Closing Remarks, in Confederation Rooms II and III
Denise Carpenter, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Nuclear Association
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
Early-bird registration is open until December 15. Register now to reserve your spot.
Don’t forget to keep in touch with our weekly Conference updates and Sponsor Spotlights at TalkNuclear.ca
For more information, see the links below, or contact Marie-danielle Davis at email@example.com
See you in February!